Step 1: Enable Linux on ChromebookBefore starting to get iTunes on Chromebook, you should enable Linux feature first. Here’s how to enable Linux on Chromebook:
- Move your cursor to the bottom right section.
- Click on the time and a small window will appear.
- Click on the Settings icon in the top-right corner.
- Go to the Linux (Beta) section.
- Click on the Turn on button.
- Then, Linux will be installed on your Chromebook and a Terminal window will open.
Step 2: Install the Wine App on Chromebook
- Execute sudo apt-get update in the Terminal window to update all system packages and their dependencies.
- When it says Done, you can start to download and install Wine.
- Execute the sudo apt-get install Wine command.
Step 3: Enable Support for 32-bit ApplicationsExecute the following commands in the opening Terminal window one by one:
- sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- sudo apt update
- sudo apt-get install wine32
Step 4: Download the iTunes Windows SetupSince the 64-bit version iTunes app is not compatible with Chromebook, you should download the 32-bit version instead.
- Click here to open the iTunes for Windows (32-bit) download page on Apple Support website.
- Click on the Download button and choose a location to save the setup file.
Step 5: Install iTunes on Chromebook
- Open the Linux Terminal window.
- Execute this command: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.wine32/ wine iTunesSetup.exe.
- An iTunes installation window will show up; please click Next to continue.
- Click Install on the next Installation Options window.
- Click Yes if you see a pop-up window telling you AutoRun is turned off.
- Wait for the installation process to end.
- Click Finish to exit the installer.
Step 6: Create Shortcut for iTunes (Optional)
- Open File Manager.
- Go to the Linux files directory.
- Click on the three dots icon at the top right.
- Select Show hidden files.
- Navigate to this path: .local -> share -> applications -> wine -> Program Files ->iTunes.
- Look for the desktop file and right-click on it.
- Select Open with Text Editor.
- Find the line that starts with Exec=.
- Add this code after it: env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine32" wine "/home/username/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe".
- Press Ctrl + S to save the file and then close the app.